Wednesday, October 11, 2006

SPYCHIPS

My friends in the competitive intelligence industry tell me the Patriot Act is just one flickering star in a galaxy of real and pending privacy invasions. Those embedded chips we are all walking around with may have been planted by The GAP as well as the grays. Levi-Strauss may be monitoring my movements (though they be few) even now through a Radio Frequency Identification device (RFID) sewn into my jeans. Take a gander -- and watch your back.

When people walk by me in airports talking into the air (with Bluetooth device on their far ear) or sit right next to me having animated or personal conversations on their cells, I wonder whether privacy is already passe. Which is why I am taking pains to create personal spaces in my home where a man can be alone with his thoughts. I am hoping that, so far, no one is listening to those.

CONTEXT: Following is the email that pointed me to the RFID site. I have met the fellow from *** who is mentioned. He is former military intelligence, now corporate counterintelligence officer.

Look up RFID tags – Liz McIntyre. http://www.spychips.com/ . These can be inserted anatomically and hospitals are very interested in them and so are schools interested in having them on children’s identification tags to be worn at all times. They are in passports, key fobs (sp?), cars, driver’s licenses (which will become national next year I think – not sure). Manufacturing, etc. I had an interesting discussion with the guy from *** who I knew was friends with his P&G competitor who is mentioned in the Spychips book. He indicated that P&G is doing some really sneaky over the ethical line things with their RFID. The only thing holding back RFID is that all RFID tags are not made equal (but they will be). Therefore, not all can be read by a universal reader. Passive tags are the most dangerous. They will be using these for tracking in the future. Put that in conjunction with the Patriot Act (which I am not a huge fan of believe it or not) and we have given the gov’t tracking ability along with the ability to throw us in jail, not let anyone know why we were arrested, where you are being held, and no right to an attorney or a trial. Sound far fetched? Not really. Sounds paranoid – not really in light of world events.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I suppose the question is no longer whether "they" have the power to watch and listen to us but whether "they" have enough employees to keep up with our every move.

Post a Comment