Tuesday, May 18, 2004

WINNING THE LOTTERY DOESN'T BRING HAPPINESS

Emory University researchers measured brain activity in the striatum — the part of the brain associated with reward processing and pleasure — in two groups of volunteers. One group had to work to receive money while playing a simple computer game; the other group was rewarded without having to earn it.

The brains of those who had to work for their money were more stimulated.

He said that other studies have shown “there’s substantial evidence that people who win the lottery are not happier a year after they win the lottery. It’s also fairly clear from the psychological literature that people get a great deal of satisfaction out of the work they do.”


I had this discussion back in 1996 with co-workers and we were evenly divided. It began with a lady who wanted everyone to chip in a x number of dollars to play the lottery collectively. I said that I would chip in but that I was against the theory of the lottery because money that you don't earn is a burden not a blessing. Since I was sure we wouldn't win I would chip in for the camaraderie.

You can imagine how that got the discussion going. I was surprised that almost an even number of people agreed with me, although I think the majority still wanted to win the lottery. My theory was life is a struggle and it's overcoming obstacles that allow us to grow as human beings. The lottery artificially removes many of the struggles that life brings and winning stunts growth. In fact, many of the struggles we encounter are related to but specifically making a living. Once a human no longer has to make a living those other struggles are also lost.

On the other hand, people who earn millions through their own savvy and hard work can enjoy the money all that much more because it is attached to the struggle of life that they were able to overcome. The lottery robs people of the reward of the struggle.

The lady who wanted to play the lottery wouldn't take my money. She said my money would be bad karma since I didn't think we'd win. As far as life being a struggle she said the only thing she wanted to struggle for what multiple or-----.

That retort was quoted for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment