Monday, April 18, 2005

RECENTLY VIEWED

SWINGERS
I saw this when it was originally in theaters and proclaimed it one of my top 100 favorite films. I recently watched it again on IFC and it holds up well. Although the retro-swing era came to a swift conclusion, this film sneaks in a few songs by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy to capture that mid-to-late '90s era. Jon Favreau's character is a bit Woody Allen, but manages to be an interesting pathetic, rather than simply a pathetic loser. That he triumphs in the end in clearing his mind of the past girlfriend and embracing the new relationship with Heather Graham well rewards the patience we have shown in rooting for him while he behaved like a loser. This is a good portrait of an age group that has the bulk of their lives ahead of them, but are too old to be involved in a true "coming-of-age" story.

IN THE BEDROOM
This film was much acclaimed. I give it kudos for being mature - I am always appreciate of films made for grown-ups, but it didn't do a lot for me personally. There is a surface story that is somewhat interesting, and the characters are finely drawn. I especially liked Tom Wilkinson as the dad. He was not overly mousey, but just passive enough to be much more like a real person than most screen dads. I liked how the villain was humanized in the third act, that also was very real. There may have been a tremendous amount of subtext that was lost on me, but generally, I considered the film a well-acted melodrama that took awhile to get going.

ALPHAVILLE
I've wanted to see this French New Wave classic for some time. My first attempt, on the plane home from Monaco, put me to sleep. It would take several attempts before I made it to the end. The film is truly bizarre. I think it's safe to presume there was nothing ever quite like it at the time of its release in 1965. There are stunning visuals sprinkled throughout, and some very interesting situations, such as the public execution cum syncronized swimming exhibition. The story works as a film noir. The femme fatale is stunning with an otherworldly aloofness about her. I love the scene where the goons plan to apprehend the hero by accosting him when he doubles over from laughter after being told a joke. They then stand by, emotionless, as the girl delivers the gag. If you are curious about how Terry Gilliam developed his m.o. and how the French redefined cinema while Hollywood was churning out Doris Day-Rock Hudson vehicles, then this film is a must.

NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE
Every year there are movies that receive acclaim for no discernable reason. This would be 2004's entry. It's the rare movie that puts me to sleep. Alphaville doesn't really count, since I had been up all night before turning it on. This film, however, just never went anywhere interesting. I was asleep within twenty minutes with a sleeping wife on my lap. The next day, I finished watching it, and realized that sleep was the more productive use of time. The music is good and quirky, and the color scheme is vibrant and quirky, but the plot is simply quirky without being interesting or amusing in the least. It's got nothing to say, with no insights on coming of age, or anything. Another instance of a first-time writer-director being lauded unnecessarily.

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
I really liked The Bourne Identity. It was intelligent entertainment for adults. Director, Doug Liman gave us the sublime Swingers, and also Go, which was quality fare. Liman directed the first Bourne installment, and it worked like a charm. He retreats to behind a desk for this installment, handing the reigns to a director who absolutely destroys the action sequences, opting for close-ups and furious editing, which is a poor substitute for good blocking. Matt Damon is very good in this role - he manages to make Jason Bourne interesting and complex and not at all like a Robocop, impervious to defeat. Joan Allen is interesting as always, even if she is cast as the generic hard-driven agent. There is of course the devious beaurocrat, not below killing a coworker to cover-up his treacherous ways. The Brian Cox character is interesting, even if a touch underdeveloped, because he was in over his head, rather than most movies (like Minority Report) where everything has been thought out to the tiniest detail by the powermongering bossman. I like that this series is aimed for grown-ups, which is increasingly rare for action flicks, but in the end this is a letdown from the fist installment.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I just saw Napoleon over the weekend. I think the acclaim comes from the small budget to decent box office much like the routine MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. I've seen all of these save Alphaville and your take seems pretty consistent with mine.

Post a Comment