Thursday, July 14, 2005

THE KELO DECISION

I wrote my Representative in Congress, Republican Ric Keller and my Democrat Senator Bill Nelson about that land grab in Connecticut. I cannot find the letter I wrote. It must be on one of the other computers. But here is the Keller reply: (Still waiting for Nelson)
Thank you for recently contacting my office regarding the recent Supreme Court ruling on Kelo v. City of New London. Your views are important, and I thank you for taking the time to share them with me.

On June 23, 2005, the United States Supreme Court issued its decision on Kelo v. City of New London. In a 5-4 vote, the Court upheld the use of eminent domain, allowing state and local governments to take citizens' homes and turn them over to corporations and private developers to generate tax revenue.

Let me first express my disappointment and firm opposition to this ruling. I am adamantly opposed to this decision by the Supreme Court and will support legislation in the House of Representatives that will blunt this decision.

Recently, the House of Representatives attached an amendment to the departments of Transportation, Treasury, and Housing and Urban Development appropriations bill that would deny federal funds to any city or state project that used eminent domain to force people to sell their property to make way for a profit-making project such as a hotel or mall. I was proud to support this amendment when it passed the House.

I also supported House Resolution 340, condemning the U.S. Supreme Court's decision. This important resolution urges state and local governments to refrain from using this decision as a complete freedom for abuse of eminent domain. It also emphasizes the ability of Congress to address this matter legislatively to prevent abuse of individual property rights. I was also proud to cast my vote in favor of this amendment when it cleared the House.

Please know that I will continue to fight in Congress to protect consumers' property rights. Again, thank you for writing. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Ric Keller
Member of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment