Monday, July 04, 2005

THE MOVIE MEM

1. Total number of films I own on DVD and video.

I own 40 or so titles. I only purchase family films that the kids will watch repeatedly. The only mature films in my catalog were received as gifts.


2. Last film I bought.

The Incredibles (2004)


3. Last film I watched.

War of the Worlds (2005)


4. Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (in no particular order).

Jaws (1975) made me like movies. An early movie-going experience that made me produce more adrenaline than my tiny body could possibly process without fleeing for my life. Made me understand what movies are all about.

The Terminator (1984) made me like action movies. It's a cliche now, but the inhuman villiain that cannot be stopped was fresh then. When the metallic skeleton arose from the pyre, I knew I was watching a masterpiece. Yet the hero finds a way to destroy the villain, without waiting around for seemingly innocuous viruses to do the job for her.

Beaue Geste (1939) made me like old movies. One of the first b/w films I ever watched that kept me interested start to finish and even made me misty at the end. I love the story and the relationship of the brothers, and especially Gary Cooper's beautiful gesture.

Goodfellas (1990) made me understand relativity. This was the singularly fastest three hours I have ever experienced. I don't think I blinked more than twenty times and when the end credits rolled, I had to take a moment to remember that I was some bloke sitting in a theatre. I have never been so absorbed in a book or movie like this.

Psycho (1960) made me realize that films shape reality. Jaws works the same way with swimming as Psycho works with showering. You cannot do either without scenes from these films haunting your subconscience.


5. If you could Be any character portrayed in a movie, who would it be?

I suppose the obvious answer is Atticus Finch, since he is the most upstanding guy ever.

Any Jimmy Stewart role works here, especially the real-life Glenn Miller, or the dude from Strategic Air Command, both coming with that sweetheart June Allyson as a wife before she got the runs.

Cary Grant from Charade or Gunga Din would be kind of fun.

It wouldn't be so bad to be Ferris Bueller.

No comments:

Post a Comment