Wednesday, August 24, 2005

BALLPARK TALK



I had a meeting yesterday in Milwaukee and stayed to watched the Brew Crew beat up the Marlins at Miller Park. I was sandwiched in between an old guy keeping score on my right and a young guy guzzling beer on my left. We each kept to ourselves and our snacks until the top of the fourth when the old man flipped through some previous pages in his scorebook and I noticed he had scored games in a variety of ballparks. I struck up a conversation and it turned out he was one of those baseball encyclopedia guys who knows every player, every park, every story and every stat. And he was a US history buff on top of that. What a delight to banter with him from top 4 thru top 8 when I left. He takes a week or two vacation every summer and visits a ballpark or two. It wasn't long before the fellow on my left joined in. He was visiting from Boston with his girlfriend. They met at college at Bryn Mawr outside Philly. Both they and the old man had just seen games in Chicago and now were catching some games in Milwaukee. It was great company and a perfect baseball scene. I did not get their names and it did not matter.

I have now seen games in at least the following stadia:
CLE - Municipal Stadium
PIT - Three Rivers
PIT - PNC Park
PHI - Veterans Stadium
PHI - Citizens Bank Park
MON - Olympic Stadium
MIL - Miller Park
CHC - Wrigley Field
ATL - Fulton County Stadium
ATL - Turner Field
CHW - new Comiskey
LAD - Dodger Stadium
PHX - BOB
NYY - Yankee Stadium

I still need to get to Camden Yards which is about 2 hours south. My favorites are Wrigley and PNC. Worst was Olympic Stadium by far, next worst Municipal Stadium. Much of that may have had to do with the chronically losing teams, although that doesn't dampen my enjoyment of PNC Park.

And you? (Your list and your favorites.)

Gotta go, may expound later...

1 comment:

Dude said...

Of the stadiums in use now, I have seen games in:

ATL, TAM, LAD, LAA, PHX, BAL, PIT.

I think that's it. I most enjoyed Camden and PNC. I least enjoyed Tropicana Field in Tampa.

Post a Comment