Sunday, October 21, 2007


PRAISE FOR NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT THAT ACTUAL WORKS (in me at least)


SAM-e, (short for S-adenosylmethionine, also spelled SAMe) is made from the amino acid methionine and ATP. SAM-e is a methyl donor involved in the making of dozens of important compounds in the body. SAM-e has been available by prescription in Europe for many years as an antidepressant but has been available over the counter in the US only since about 1996.



Because of its role in the making of neurotransmitters, SAM-e has been
tested in the therapy of depression. A number of studies have been
published, mostly in Europe, evaluating this nutrient’s role in mood
disorders. Back in 1994, Dr. Bressa, from the University Cattolica Sacro
Cuore School of Medicine, in Rome, Italy conducted a meta-analysis of the
studies on SAM-e. A meta-analysis is a statistical pooling of already
published research papers. Dr. Bressa concludes, "The efficacy of SAM-e in
treating depressive syndromes and disorders is superior to that of placebo
and comparable to that of standard tricyclic antidepressants. Since SAM-e is
a naturally occurring compound with relatively few side-effects, it is a
potentially important treatment for depression." The influence of SAM-e on
depression has also been tested in the United States. Back in 1994, researchers at the University of California, Irvine Medical Center, did a double-blind randomized trial involving a total of twenty-six patients. They compared oral SAM-e with oral desipramine (a pharmaceutical antidepressant). At the end of the four-week trial, 62 percent of the patients treated with SAM-e and 50 percent of the patients treated with desipramine had significantly improved. Similar results were found in a 2002
study when SAM-e was compared to imipramine. SAM-e has even been tested in depressed postmenopausal women. Researchers from the University of La Sapienza in Rome, Italy gave SAM-e for thirty days to eighty women between the ages of 45 and 59 with depression following either natural menopause or hysterectomy. There was a significantly greater improvement in depressive symptoms in the group treated with SAM-e compared to the placebo group. Side effects were mild and transient. New research indicates that SAM-e may give the boot to Prozac and other SSRIs. SOURCE: Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology,
December 2004.

I've suffered from Depression, to one degree or another, for most of my life. It all comes from my Mom's side of the family. It gets significantly worse when under serious stress (i.e. my divorce, death of family, etc.). I've spend 4 years in psychotherapy during my Doctoral training and tried several types of prescription anti-depressants. The psychotherapy was helpful for the emotional and cognitive components. I figured a lot out and it's made me a better psychologist. But the depression would persist. Although most of the prescriptions worked, they were quite serious in their side effects with me (loss of appetite, low to no libido, sleep disturbance, etc.). I knew about Sam-e for many years but only recently decided to try it after a new round of depression back in January of this year. After about a month I noticed a significant improvement in mood and have stayed on it. I do not have the crazy side effects from the prescription anti-depressants nor do I have the "depersonalization" (feelings of being unreal) withdrawal effects that I felt when stopping abruptly and others have reported from the Prozac family of drugs. But as for Sam-e, Wow! All I can say is that I've never endorsed any product for mood before, but this is without a doubt, the very best. Hooray for Sam-e!

(The Photo above is the brand I use and the best formula I've found. It is sold at CVS Pharmacy).




1 comment:

E said...

Well you lifted MY spirits. Saying "menopause and hysterectomy" out loud makes me laugh.

Post a Comment