Monday, February 28, 2005

<>MILLION DOLLAR BABY AGAIN

I can't fault the Academy for giving gold to Swank and Freeman. Both were Great. Freeman may have been the greatest American actor to have never won. Eastwood did a wonderful job directing. He's one of a handful of true legends left in Hollywood. But was it worth winning to have Streisand slobbering over you? I'm glad the screenwriter’s guild wasn't buffaloed into thinking the script was worth an Oscar. I'll always wish that Clint hadn't settled for the third act gimmick.
<>
Rock tried to get the crowd on his side with praise for Farenheit 911 and derision for George Bush. That's like giving out cotton candy in a Kindergarten class. It's the first time I can remember an Oscar's host being so overtly political. Billy Crystal and Steve Martin seemed be more subtle about such things. Still Rock wasn't nearly as bad a Whoopi or Letterman. I laughed a few times.

1 comment:

Dude said...

I did well on my picks this year. My only misstep was crossing out Eastwood's name at the last minute, thinking Scorcese would win due to Academy guilt. I got all the other majors correct.

We had a group of friends over to watch the telecast. We drained six bottles of pinot noir, dined on steak and peas (meticulously arranged) and finished with lemon merengue pie.

Post a Comment