Tuesday, November 01, 2005

WHY I DON'T RESPECT DICK MORRIS

Jonah Goldberg says what I was trying to get at in my comment to Tom's celebrity sighting a week or two ago.
I know some folks around here [at National Review Online] are friends or friendly with him. But I am consistently amazed people take him as seriously as they do. He is brilliant, but he is also a deeply amoral pragmatist. The problem with analysts like him is that their insights are only useful when self-interest isn't in play. Since they have loyalty to no larger ideas or principles, they can be acute observers of politics. But such Machiavellianism is also a hindrance, because principles and a moral vision also help us notice when we're letting our self-interest intrude. When they are absent, self-interest reigns supreme.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Yeah that seems to hit it pretty well. The biggest Morris agenda is Morris.

Post a Comment