Thursday, March 30, 2006

DAY REAGAN WAS SHOT

25 years ago today. I was in the 6th grade. I don't remember if the teacher had told us or if it came over the loudspeaker. It had only been 2 months since his swearing in and I got into trouble for hanging out in the music room watching it with the 5th grade instead of returning to class after recess. It was certainly one moment of civil disobedience I don't regret. The teacher gave me a stern look when I returned, but later asked me what Reagan said in his speech.

Just a few night ago I watched THE DAY REAGAN WAS SHOT on DVD. It was produced by Oliver Stone so the basis was how Alexander Haig put us on the brink of nuclear war with his pompous attitude. Whatever. Richard Crenna plays Reagan and quite well. He doesn't give that characatured James Brolin impersonation act. Richard Dreyfuss plays Haig crazier than you've ever seen him. I remember the "I'm in charge here" commnent by Haig and even as a kid thought it anything but a power play despite the media's tizzy. Dreyfuss's Haig is like some sort of inquisition cardinal arguing with the rest of priests.

The good news is that with Haig taking all the heat, Ron, Nancy, Howard Baker, George Bush, Cap Weinberger and company all come off as decent people. It made the thing quite compelling despite the conspiracy theories.

1 comment:

Dude said...

I remember being home sick one day in the 6th grade. I was a TV baby, so I was looking for The Price is Right, but all I found in the pre-cable world was Reagan's inauguration and news of the freeing of hostages in Iran. I had little interest in current events, but much interest in television, so that is what I watched.

I also remember not long after, Mr Kelly leaving the room for a short time, then coming back with the news that the president has been shot. He was so creepy, I thought for a moment it was a confession.

Post a Comment