Wednesday, September 13, 2006

JOHN STOSSEL LIVE

Last night I saw John Stossel give an address at a work function. I read Stossel’s first book, so much of what he said wasn’t new, but it sure was fun to hear it live. The audience reaction was very positive. The Main point of the address was to explain how business without the shackles of regulation is better for everyone. A typical example is how the FDA takes so long in testing drugs (10-15 years) that it costs people their lives. Why not let people in grave condition decide for themselves?

He had a funny story about how he has won 19 Emmy awards, but that they were all won when he was a crusading reporter going after business. He said one year he was so dominant that another winner thanked him for not having an entry in that category. Stossel then said that he hasn’t won a single Emmy since he took on the government (Big Laugh).

He said that the turn for him came when a producer told him of the phenomenon that people were getting killed when Bic lighters were exploding in pockets. When the producer told Stossel that it has happened to 4 people in the last year, Stossel replied that more people have been killed by buckets. Should they do a story on that too? The producer called him callus and got another reporter to do the story.

He argued against the coverage of plane crashes in the media that result in a fear of flying which then puts more people on the roads where they are more likely to be killed.

He said that the only reason he was given an opportunity to do his own contrary thing on the air was because another network made him an offer and ABC relented to keep him.

Near the end he would describe everyday items and how many people they kill and asked the audience to guess what he was talking about. For instance, he mentioned a common item that people have that is purely recreational that kills 800 a year. (A swimming pool)

He then explained that many of the things we use everyday would never be approved such as automobiles. They travel at 60 MPH and within feet of other cars and people. And because of that how many things that are dangerous and yet beneficial are we being deprived of?

Since I knew he would take questions at the end of it, I spent a good deal of the speech writing out things to ask. I must have written 10 questions including such things as whether companies building in China should worry about their property being nationalized. For the benefit of the audience I decided that I would ask John about the recent legislation signed into law to protect company pensions and ask him to compare how the average company pension is designed versus how the Social Security system is designed. To my dismay, the microphone assistants never got to our section and so many of my fellow employees were spared the enlightenment.

I bought his new book to get signed and figured I should at least ask one question. The social security thing would have been pointless. No one else was around to think about it. When I reached the table I said smiling, “Hello John.”

He looked at my nametag and said, “Hi Tom.”

“What do you think about Congress trying to outlaw internet gambling?” I asked.

He replied, “Pointless” quickly then he paused and said dramatically “and wrong!” holding the “wr” part out a little for effect.

I laughed and he may have thought I was mocking him by the look on his face, but it was just so funny to see this famous guy look at me and answer so emphatically in that voice you hear on TV.

I said “Thanks John” hoping that he understood my reaction to be benevolent and scooted away.

No comments:

Post a Comment