Tuesday, May 29, 2007

ATLAS SHRUGGED CONTEST

It's official. Angelina Jolie will play Dagney Taggart in the 2008 film version of the cult novel. The script is reported to be 129 pages on a source work that could easily be a 12-15 hour mini-series. So much for the 80 page John Galt speech.

The contest questions are:

1. How will Hollywood downplay the rightwing message of the film? What major components of the message will be dropped?

2. How will Hollywood insert a leftwing message into the film? Will they overplay Rand's opposition to religion or will they add some new element?

1 comment:

Dude said...

I always imagined it would someday appear as a miniseries - it will be interesting to see it trimmed to a mere two hours. It's funny - I started reading it in college and liked it so much that I began writing each chapter as a script just as a writing exercise. I still have the first several chapters filed away somewhere. The great irony is that to this day I have still never finished reading the story. Dagny was in an airplane heading to Mulligan Valley last I put it down about eight years ago. I guess the upcoming film is impetus to power through the back third of the book. I think Jolie is a decent choice for Dagny Taggart, though when I read it all those years ago, in my mind I pictured Wendy Malick, whom I thought would have been perfect in her younger years. Come to think of it, Hank Reardon appeared in my mind's eye as Jeff Reardon, with the beard and all.

Post a Comment