Saturday, September 29, 2007

POP CAN FELONY
Authorities said they arrested 10 people and seized more than $500,000 in cash after breaking up a smuggling ring that collected millions of beverage containers in other states and cashed them in for 10 cents apiece in Michigan.

The 10 people were arraigned on charges ranging from false pretense, a possible 5-year felony to running a criminal enterprise, a possible 20-year sentence.

The scheme defrauded the Michigan Bottle Deposit Fund, whose proceeds are used to pay for environmental cleanup efforts, Cox said in a statement.

"Each year, this type of activity defrauds the state approximately $13 million," said Col. Peter Munoz, Michigan State Police director.

The charges include maintaining a continuing criminal enterprise, a 20-year felony, and fraud, a 5-year felony, the statement said.

This is a great example of the futility of social engineering. Any government manipulation of the free market will create unintended consequences. By making the cans and bottles worth money, they received more cans and bottles. The intention was to clean up the environment, but the result was more garbage.

It's not too unlike how social services create more poor people.

6 comments:

E said...

So if Hillary makes a $5,000 gift to every new baby, what will be the natural consequences?

Tom said...

I can imagine a lot of babies at the dog track.

E said...

I visited Pensacola Greyhound Park a few weeks ago and WHAT A DUMP! And I don't mean by the #4 dog, I mean the place has really aged and not well. But the penne was pretty good and I won my first wager (the trusty quinela box) which paid for the rest of the evening. Had a nice night out with Fair Deal.

Tom said...

You and Dealer. My dad and I use to go to PGT a lot, but I've only been twice since moving to Orlando. The one here in Orlando never looked as nice as Pensacola, so you can imagine Orlando's.

On Hilary's $5,000 idea. I recently read Charles Murray's IN OUR HANDS that addresses a similar idea to replace the welfare state. Of course, with Hilary this would only augment it.

E said...

I keep thinking about all the fraud and abuse when FEMA had the brilliant idea to give out free cash to Katrina victims. That worked really well. Some of the victims liked it so much they were willing to stand in several different lines. Sort of like Chicago elections.

One sure consequence of Hillary's plan is that Doritos sales would skyrocket.

E said...

All those consultants and Hillary can't figure out what to offer us, so she'll just give cash.

Oh, and create thousands of government jobs to tell me what I can and can't do with it, and how, and when, and using what form.

I saw a hung over TSA screener very nearly fall asleep on his feet on my way through a metal detector recently. He caught himself and braced himself with one hand. I thought he was going down. I gave him the eyeball and he muttered something about being up very late at a costume party. When the government hires thousands of new workers amid low unemployment, do they get the most employable or the least employable? You make the call.

Post a Comment