Thursday, May 29, 2003

Happy 100th Birthday, Bob Hope.

It seemed like everyone was waiting and waiting for George Burns to turn 100. Bob Hope kind of sneaked up on us.

My parents tell the story of seeing him in Japan where my father was stationed during the Vietnam War. I was there too, I suppose, but under cover. They saw him again in 1996 at the American Adventure show at Epcot. They recorded him with their video camera. He looked frail back then, and not too alert, but he responded to the standing ovation he got when he entered the theatre. There is a montage of film clips of 20th century icons at the end of the show. When Bob Hope's face appeared in the montage, the whole audience applauded again. I wasn’t there, but I still think of it every time I see the show.

My favorite Bob Hope fact comes from ESPN. The Yankees have won all but 15 of their 8,895 victories during his lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment