Wednesday, October 26, 2005

SATELLITE RADIO RECOMMENDATIONS

If you have any experience or information that would help me choose between XM and Sirius satellite radio, please post Comments. You may assume that Howard Stern is not a factor in my decision. My listening preferences are generally conservative talk, ESPN radio, sports talk, blues, smooth jazz, NPR, and classic rock, in roughly that order.

I am on the road for 108 miles a day and I drive through stretches where radio and cell phone signals are poor. Will satellite reception be better? (Dude, I expect a full explanation of the physics.)

UPDATE: In addition to your feedback, I polled my office mates. Three love their XM and two love their Sirius. XM has MLB and is offering XM Radio Online free with purchase right now so I think I will go that way. Thanks for your help.

3 comments:

Tom said...

My pal Dan has XM. He likes it for the movie scores channel. It also has exclusive rights to MLB. XM also has interesting things like books read aloud and old time radio. It has stations a leftwing and rightwing talk station. It also has a local traffic and weather station for the big markets, Philly is included.

It has more channels overall than Sirius but they have exclusive rights to the NFL, NBA, NHL and NPR. The college games are split by conference on the two networks.

If I were buying, I would get XM.

Dude said...

I haven't researched either, but I saw a graphic yesterday about how Sirius subscriptions have increased by X since announcing the Stern deal and XM has increased by Y during that time. The numbers to me looked as if the Stern signing lifted the awareness of satellite radio and once consumers started researching the options, the majority was signing up with XM. If they have exclusive rights to MLB as Tom says, then it appears to be a no-brainer.

The physics is easy - the signal is beamed from space and not from the top of the highest silo, so you will never leave the range of reception.

Tom said...

Interesting though is the fact that it sometimes just goes out while we're in Dan's car. I think something on the ground must be interfering because it's usually in the same spots.

Post a Comment