Monday, January 19, 2004

FUN BACK AND FORTH

Sen. Kerry:
"When I came home from Vietnam in 1969, I don't know if John Edwards was out of diapers then yet or not, I'm totally not sure. I don't know." Kerry then appeared to rethink the issue, and said, "He was by then, it was earlier."


Sen. Edwards:

"I have tremendous respect for Senator Kerry's service to our country in Vietnam," he said in a written statement. "The truth is, in 1969 my family spent a lot of time sitting around the kitchen table trying to figure out how to pay for me to go to college, as so many Iowa families do every day."

I don't understand Kerry's attempt at humor here. Edwards is 50 years old. Even Abraham Lincoln was in diapers once. If leadership and experiences were measured by who was older, we'd have Willard Scott nominate a President.

Edwards retort is classic, because it reminds one that Kerry is some Eastern Elitist without saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment