Tuesday, January 27, 2004

OSCAR NOMINATIONS

A few surprises here. I think the weak field gives Lord of the Rings it's chance to take home the trophy. Though honestly, the field looks a little better than it has the last couple of years. I'm the guy who didn't really get the first Lord of the Rings and, in fact, fell asleep in the theatre. To me it was the same movie every 15 minutes. They would walk in the woods, be attacked by a force 100 times their size, kill them of, and then walk in the woods again.

I'm told that the uncut version is much better than the original theatrical version. Meaning that I have to see the original uncut version of the first one, and the entire second film which I skipped before I can see and understand the third film which is sure to win. On one side, I have my own slumbering memories and on the other I have nearly every person I know telling me this is the best movie series of all-time. I hate sitting here as a minority of one while everyone else is thrillin'. I better get to work.


It's been eleven years since Eastwood won for Unforgiven. I'm surprised to see him back. Some of his recent entries like Blood Work, True Crume and Space Cowboys convinced me we'd seen the last of his nominations. Now, I better get serious and see Mystic River. This is only the fourth film directing effort I can remember where he didn't also act. Bird, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Mystic River and a William Holden movie from the 1970s called Breezy that I have never seen.

No matter how many foriegn films I see a year I have still never heard of the nominees. I expected the raves for MAN WITHOUT A PAST to translate into a nomination, but the movie was surprisingly dull and maybe the Academy thought so too.

Early Guesses:

Picture: Lord of the Rings
Actor: Sean Penn
Actress: Charlize Theron
Director: Peter Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment