Friday, October 03, 2003

ANTICIPATING RUSH AT NOON

With the ESPN turmoil and drug accusations on top of that, I don't think I'm alone anticipating Rush's comments at noon today.

I've been prescribed pain pills a couple of times and it scared me how easy the pain subsided at first, but how ineffective they were by the 4th day. It would be very easy to up the dose to relieve the pain and continue to do so until a person is addicted. Being aware of this, I didn't take any when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. Brett Favre went into rehab in the 1990s because of a pain pill addiction. Being an athlete, it must have been easy for him to get as much as he needed.

Rush is always articulate and I usually agree with him on Economics or National Security, but I have always wondered why he supports a drug war with guys like Ted Kennedy. Should society really imprison and support people whose crimes are only against their own person? The continual imprisonment of Robert Downey Junior is the essence of a puritan mindset put forth on the population.

The things about the story that seem untrue are the amount of pills Rush was asking for. The side effect of these pills is lethargy and loss of alertness, which would have ruined his effectiveness on the radio. If he were truly an addict it would have been hard for him to be sober long enough to do the show, wouldn’t it? But there must be some truth to the story or otherwise he would have denied the whole thing when confronted. Instead he said he didn’t know of an investigation and would cooperate.

When Bill Clinton said, “I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.” Rush immediately said Clinton was lying because Clinton only denied the charges, whereas an innocent man would have immediately characterized the actual relationship with the intern. The key to Rush maintaining his credibility is to come clean and admit the nature of what he was doing. The tough part is being honest without saying anything that would incriminate him in a court of law.

If he was illegally buying these drugs he faces a Hobson’s Choice. He either admits what he did and risk prosecution, or he doesn’t come clean and the evidence ruins his reputation for truth. I bet he will admit to having some kind of problem with drugs without admitting any illegal activity. I wish he would instead defend his right to be the master of his own body.

I’m rooting for him to survive this. Whereas the American people couldn’t impeach Clinton themselves, the American public can impeach Rush by not listening anymore. I hope he shows the integrity to be honest with the public and not make the Clinton mistake of stonewalling. I’m encouraged that he has decided to speak today instead of hiding throughout the weekend.

UPDATE: Rush makes case for his ESPN comments, but punts on the drug issue. He promises to be thorough and honest when he understands the charges. I'm glad he didn't lie, but he must have done something he shouldn't have done or else he would have spoken specifically.

No comments:

Post a Comment