Sunday, October 19, 2003

World Series Game 2

NY 6 FLA 1

Andy Pettite was brilliant and the Yankee hitters were more patient. Matsui's 3-run homer in the first gave Pettite enough cushion and Florida really never had a chance. Game 3 will be key, because Mussina has been having trouble winning his postseason starts, although he gave a brilliant performance in relief in game 7 of the LCS versus Boston. By going in the third game, Mussina is in line to pitch game 7, so he is going to have to win now or win later or both. So much depends on him. Clemens could have gone on Tuesday, but I don't think Torre wants to throw him twice in the series after he looked so ineffective against Boston.

My dad and I are going down to see Game Four in Miami and will get to see Roger Clemens last career start. I couldn't decide which game we should see, but when I heard that Josh Beckett was going in game three, I thought that I should choose a game the Yankees have a better chance of winning. I didn't realize until tonight that we'd get to see Roger. Last time Dad and I saw Roger was in 2001 in his last start of the year against the Tampa Bat Devil Rays. Although, Roger won the Cy Young Award that year, beginning the season 20-1, he was totally shellacked inn his last two starts one of which we had the benefit of paying for. In fact, the Devil Rays swept the series and the Yankees headed into the playoffs looking like hell, eventually turning things around after they were down two games to zero against Oakland. They would have even won the World Series that year if God didn't insist on proving that Mariano Rivera is just a human being like everyone else. His save opportunity in Game Seven was blown and with it the 5th World Series title in 6 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment