Thursday, October 30, 2008

POLITICAL MEME

Reason Magazine asked their writers these questions. Give it a go, Junto Boys. Here are my answers:

1. Who are you voting for in November? McCain/Palin. I was leaning Bob Barr all summer, but the Palin selection changed my mind. She's the only candidate in the race that thinks America exists somewhere outside the beltway.

2. Who did you vote for in 2004 and 2000? Bush Both times. I regret his expansion of government, but we did get two great Supreme Court justices after some prodding.

3. Is this the most important election in your lifetime? I think it may be among the least important. Bush losing in 2004 would have meant a leftist majority on the court and the great skedaddle from the Middle East. Reagan losing in 1980 would have meant a cut in cold war defense spending that could have let the Russians save their economy. Who knows, maybe the Berlin Wall would still be standing.

4. What will you miss about the Bush administration? The Tax Cuts

5. Leaving George W. Bush out of consideration, what former U.S. president would you most like to have waterboarded and why? Lyndon Johnson for making the government responsible for too much while solving nary a problem.

3 comments:

E said...

1. Sarah Palin. I think I love her.

2. Bush, Bush, with strong support both times.

3. I cared very much about Bush beating Gore and Bush beating Kerry. This election I care very much about Obama not being elected. I don't think my feelings are stronger this time than last. The interminable length of this campaign has had me detoxing from news the past couple weeks. I admire Obama's campaign but none of his policies.

4. I will miss the secrecy that the Bush administration has been able to maintain, for the most part. The Obamans will have to reward their loyal soldiers in the press with leak after leak.

5. Nobody. I like when former presidents disappear and are not heard from again. Would most like to waterboard John F. Kerry, and every time he comes up, make him say, "cutting off ears, cutting off heads."

Dude said...

1. I am about 60/40% McCain/Barr. My state is going to Obama so my vote doesn't matter. I would like to give the Libertarians a vote just so they don't go away. It's tough though, because I haven't seen Barr on TV for months and when I did see him once, I didn't fall in love with him. I just like the idea of a Libertarian party. I have never felt more out of step with the Republican party.

2. Bush/Bush. I just wish compassionate conservatism had been more like libertarianism than liberalism. He was up against lunkheads both times, making both decisions easy.

3. Every new election seems important. You never know how the loser would have governed so it's impossible to rank elections by importance. If Obama wins, it will certainly be one of the most historically important elections. It's hard to beat 2000 for historically dramatic.

4. I will actually miss his unpopularity. With Obama in office, the voice of dissent will all but disappear in the mainstream media and those who dissent publicly will be cast as racist, anarchist, or fascist. So long as he is our messiah, public discourse will cease for awhile until he really screws up.

5. Strange question. The first guy I think of is Harding because he was so corrupt and that really gets my goat.

Sir said...

I'll ditto all of your responses for Questions 1-4, but Linc hon ion is my answer to 5. The Great American Dictator. My #1 President is Jefferson Davis of course!

Post a Comment