Saturday, January 05, 2008

HUCK

Early last year I blogged that certain economic conservatives would like to distance themselves from religious conservatives. I surmised that this would be a big mistake, because most of these voters could be absorbed into the Democrats with a slightly different message. Already 40% of Christians support Democrats. I think the Huckabee campaign shows that this is a probability in the coming years if the coalition splinters. He's not a conservative and religious voters do not care. In fact, the Huck campaign shows that whoever commands enough of the religious vote commands the nation. I think Steve has a good take on this too having recently visited a Christian bookstore

1 comment:

Sir said...

Huckabee appeals to a vast group of Christains who have had their religious and moral beliefs laughed at, ridiculed, and scoffed for decades. Most are sick of it. It's refreshing to them to hear a candidate say, "I'm a Christian and proud of it." Huckabee is a populist on most issues and very conservative on social ones. I don't think he understands economics and doesn't seem to want to understand. I don't believe he will be nominated any more than Jessie Jackson could be. But like Jessie, the Christian-right (like the Black vote in the old days for the Dems) cannot and should not be ignored by Republicians if they want to win elections. Otherwise, we'll recede back into the loyal opposistion and what little gains we made with me thrown away.

Post a Comment