Thursday, January 24, 2008

ONCE (2007) – A Movie Review

Bad movies can be easily reviewed by describing misfire scenes and phony dialogue. Good movies are a little tougher, because you have to describe why it works for you. Remarkable movies are nearly impossible, because remarkable movies make the simple sublime. ONCE convinced me that good movies can still be made with a small budget, a simple script and a few honest performances.

Guy, a talented struggling Dublin street musician meets Girl, a piano playing Czech immigrant. What happens next has to be seen to be appreciated. It’s best described as honest or real or at least warm. The leads were both musicians who had never acted but you’d think they were the two biggest stars in Ireland.

Of all the Junto Boys I am probably the least interested in music, and the music here is great. As a musical I would certainly take it over CHICAGO, HAIRSPRAY, and THE PRODUCERS. Though I have a lot of movies yet to see, ONCE is so far the best film I have seen in 2007. I'll comment again after seeing Juno, No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood.

1 comment:

Dude said...

The filmmaking is crude but the characters are winners and the songs are great. The scene in which they duet on Falling Slowly is an all-time great and should garner a nomination for the song.

That was my brief review from half a year ago. History has proved me correct on the song nomination. That scene gave me goose bumples.

One thing I didn't get about that film is the choice of the song "Lies" beneath the montage of the ex-girlfriend. We then have to root for Guy to win her back. That was confounding - I did like how rather than hooking up, the characters each readjusted their own lives for the better having met.

It's a really sweet film, likely better on DVD than the big screen, as it was dark and grainy when I saw it.

Post a Comment